Wednesday, November 26, 2014

a basic set

It's getting much colder here in Japan. This year, tree leaves seem turning red and yellow particularly beautifully, probably because of the huge and sudden temperature shift during recent seasonal transition. We went out to a park in the nearby mountain for hunting red leaves yesterday. Trees were so beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed a walk in the woods in the early morning. (Even our teenage daughter admitted it was great, from this you must be able to guess how much it was beautiful. Modern age teenagers are the last creatures that would enjoy walking in the woods without selfish reasons.)


As I have finished two warm garments recently, I took the chance to wear them yesterday for these pictures.

I sewed a pair of pants and simple V-neck pullover. They're pretty much basic and I think I have nothing particular to say about them except the fabric I used for the pants. It was a stretch cotton velveteen (something like stretch cotton corduroy without cords) that I used for garments for the first time. Ah, velveteens are warm, I didn't know that! I love this fabric for wintry pants and have placed another order for some other colors of the same fabric, already.


The only setback of this particular fabric is that it causes puckering and wrinkles where uneven stretch tensions are put, because the fabric is rather clinging but isn't enough stiff to hold its shape by itself. There are many horizontal pulling lines particularly in the back of this pants. I have noticed them quite much, but when I asked my husband and daughter about the lines, they insisted that they weren't looking bad at all in real life and that they showed up prominently only when I stand straight like a statue (oh yeah thank you).

the cotton velveteen and wrinkles

I'd guess that less lines would be seen in the pants if they had more ease in the legs or if they had more 4-way negative ease all over the pants, though, I decided to have them as they were, because I preferred not-very-skinny-but-comfortably-snug pants of this kind. Sewing own basic garments is fun. I can do whatever I prefer and get some useful garments that fulfill my needs much better than retail ones. Before sewing, I didn't know my clothes could have been more comfortable, could have fit me better, and could have made me look slightly happier if those sleeves were an inch (or two inches) longer. I thought that long sleeves primitively meant something slightly short and that was the reason why winter was cold. I'm not joking. A human could be this silly.

I really love my self sewn basics. That may sound boring for some of you, but that's rebellious and strong statement for me (probably).

Anyways. Please enjoy your season wherever you live!

For the pants I used my five-year-old skinny pant pattern. For the pullover, I used the pattern Edelweiss, which is definitely one of my staple patterns from Tamanegi-kobo. This pullover fits me like a glove (I find this expression funny), generously covering my arm without unwanted sag at shoulder seam. BTW, Tamanegi-kobo is going to have a winter sale and it will start on 27th Nov 2014. I'm a fan of this shop but unfortunately I don't think I can make any purchase this time because I already have all what I have to have from them, so I write the news here as a compensation of my sorrow.


Lastly, I have started IG finally. Some time ago Sveta suggested me to use IG in her comment on a past post in which I mentioned about my photo diary. I couldn't say "Yes" to her suggestion because I wasn't quite ready for square iphone pictures at that time. However, I have persuaded myself and am now wishing to connect with other sewists through the platform too. Thank you for suggesting IG and sorry for being this late to start, Sveta.
Please give me a shout at IG if you have an account that I can follow. My IG account is yoshimitheflyingsquirrel. Many of my pictures are sewing-related but I have a few pictures that are other than sewing too. I have some pictures of red leaves, of course. Sorry for that...

Love,
yoshimi


44 comments:

  1. velveteen pants in the winter are so cozy and yours look great. Beautiful autumn leaves photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really don't know why it took so long for me to think of velveteens for pants. (I always love your garden photos, by the way.)

      Delete
  2. I think they look great! I may have to look into this velveteen pant thing ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bet you would like a pair, or maybe more, as they're so cozy :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice "basics"! I've been thinking about velveteen pants too, but the fabric is so hard to find here (U.S.). The autumn color is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you, Jen! I hope you'll find some pretty velveteens very soon. I'd recommend the ones with some stretch, as they tend to more comfortable and also a bit warmer when contain some Polyurethane, as long as I know.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you weren't kidding about the red leaves! They are gorgeous. The fit and workmanship of your garments takes them to a high-quality level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so beautiful, aren't they. I love those trees! Thank you for your words on my garments, you make my day :))

      Delete
  5. Wonderful outfit. I LOVE the velveteen pants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! I bought more velveteens, I'll make one more pair ;)

      Delete
  6. I've really enjoyed seeing your pictures of the leaves, Japan is so beautiful this time of year, someday I want to visit. Your basics are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marrie! I have always loved springtime in Japan, but now I love autumn as much as I do spring. I hope you can come to Japan for sightseeing in near future.

      Delete
  7. Yet another classical basic set! I've never sewn with velveteen but I may consider getting some for the cold Irish winter. The photos look amazing and I can't help sighing and awwing. I miss autumn in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Inna! I hope you find some velveteens to check if I am right. They can't beat snowsuits but I bet they're pretty much functional for the town life ;) You can come back to Japan anytime and I'll be there for you<3

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the inspiration for autumn basics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving your comment and you're very welcome!

      Delete
  9. I think your basics are too elegant and stylish to be boring and I find myself immediately wanting to copy the whole outfit. Those leaves? Amazing, and now I am wondering when I can visit Japan in the autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, for your very kind words! Spring in Japan is definitely pretty, but I can recommend this season too. I hope you can come to Japan sometime near future!

      Delete
  10. Don't be concerned about the wrinkles in the velveteen pants. It is normal and they look so comfortable and fit you so well. Your top is very nice, too. And your photos of colorful trees are simply beautiful. Thank you for beautiful photos to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dixie! I'm glad to hear your words about the wrinkles. I'm thinking it Okay if you think it is normal thing. Thanks, again!

      Delete
  11. You look great, Yoshimi! Love the outfit and the back drops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanna. It was my first visit to the park, and I love it very much!

      Delete
  12. You look amazing dear!!! Love the outfit especially the pants. Love the background too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ana. I really appreciate your words on my outfit!!

      Delete
  13. A perfect day , with a perfekt outfit!!
    LG
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was such a lovely day! Thank you for leaving your comment, Christine.

      Delete
  14. It's lovely! I love that lilac color on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! I love this color... your words make me so happy :)

      Delete
  15. Those trees are amazing! And your outfit looks very good. I understand you worry about those pull lines but I've noticed very often that we, who sew these things, are always most critical about something like that. I don't think you could find RTW trousers which fit this well.

    About the expression 'fitting like a glove'... That is normally used to describe a close, body hugging fit, like that of a leather glove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Lauriana. I completely understand what you mean. At least I could give a good fit to my pants, I should be proud of my achievement in that respect :)
      Thank you for your explanation of the phrase, too. I could feel the meaning but I thought it is interesting as a simile!

      Delete
  16. A wonderful outfit for an absolutely *gorgeous* walk in the autumn woods! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, shams! The beauty of autumn is so temporary and we were so lucky to have that day!

      Delete
  17. Your basics are lovely. Great colours and above all, great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Merche! I am glad with the photos :))

      Delete
  18. I agree with your husband & daughter- I think the wrinkles are fine & that they're more 'wear' related that 'fit' related. Anyway, I love your basics Yoshimi... you always manage to make them look extra stylish :)

    Gosh I love the seasons in Japan! I was considering coming over again next year for cherry blossoms & to visit my friend in Okinawa, but maybe I'll wait for autumn instead. You're so lucky to be surrounded by these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Jenny. That is true, it is likely that it is something more related to 'wear' issue than 'fit' issue. It may not need too much worry as you say!
      I hope you can come to Japan again next year. Please, please let me know if you have a chance for visiting Tokyo!!!!

      Delete
  19. Nice to see your pictures in instagram!%)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your comment, Valerie. I tried to capture the real colors as the trees were so beautiful. However, It was so hard. I am so happy that you like the colors of the trees in my photo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pictures Yoshimi!! Your outfit looks so cozy and of course as always...chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Margo!! You are always so sweet.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful photos and great autumn outfit! I never thought about sewing a pullover before, yours looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love seeing the trees loose their leaves the colours are amazing. A great basic outfit and the fit of your pants and top.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love cotton velveteen, although I've never had the courage to make trousers from it. The trees are just gorgeous in your photos. Perfect backdrop for your outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!!